Do I Have to Go to Court?

To finalize an agreed divorce, there is a fast hearing at the end of your case called a “prove up”.  Your spouse is not required to go.  We simply have to present the papers to the court, and put on some brief easy testimony from you, for the court to grant the divorce.

There are circumstances where the court will not require either party to attend court.  We, as your lawyers, would need to have you execute an affidavit of testimony which we would put before the court on your behalf.  Assuming the court would accept our motion to prove up the divorce in your absence, neither party would need to attend.  We charge an additional fee for divorces that are finalized in abstencia (without either party attending, due to the additional service time needed to finalize a case in this way).