Regardless of the price you pay, our philosophy is always the same; If you are parting ways, it is best to part as friends. But, if you have to fight because there is no choice, then fight to win.
The Flat Fee ("Part as Friends") Uncontested DivorceYour Attorney Handles the Uncontested Case.
- Top selling service at Cook & Cook.
- Lawyer handles your entire uncontested case (where the parties agree on how to divide assets, debts and children when applicable).
- Filing fee included.
- Division of cars, bank accounts other items included.
- Division of credit cards, mortgages and student loans included.
- Division of pets included when applicable.
- All child provisions included for fee (add $500 when case involves children)
- Cutting edge technology will be used to run a smooth convenient divorce for client.
- Both spouses must sign final papers so that the divorce is “uncontested.”
- Final hearing will be handled by Client’s Attorney.
- The following services are optional and add the following fees as listed below.
The Complete ("Fight to Win") DivorceYour "Ready for Anything" Attorney Service | Includes custody disputes, property disputes, mediation, spousal support, child support, real estate transfers and more.
- Attorney will file your divorce (unless it has already been filed)
- Your spouse will be served with papers.
- As needed, a temporary orders hearing will establish how money will be handled during divorce (if needed)
- As needed, temporary rules will set up rules regarding the kids when applicable.
- All steps necessary to advocate for client’s position in the divorce will be taken on matters including child support, custody, estate division, debt division and spousal support.
- All closing papers, and processing papers will be drafted and filed.
- Client will indicate desired outcome to lawyers and will receive services and advocacy accordingly.
- Cutting edge technology will be used to assist in client advocacy during all steps of the process.
The DIY ("Do it Yourself") DivorceNo assets, No debts, Agreed to by both.
- The low cost option to save money.
- Lawyer services NOT included.
- Government filing fee NOT included.
- All documents needed for any Texas divorce without property or debts are included.
- Standard custody and standard child support order paid through disbursement unit included.
- We will file the case for you, if you add in your filing fee.
- Your spouse must be willing to sign your papers.
- You will set up and attend the final hearing without a lawyer.
- You will be in charge of processing your papers.
- 100% Court Approval Guarantee*
- Customer may change divorce package to other premium services, if requested at any time.
- Customer may hire Cook & Cook lawyers at $300 per hour for help with additional documents or document review, if requested at any time.
Attorney Megan Cook is lead counsel to all uncontested divorces at this firm. She can be reached at [email protected]
More About the $1,500+ Part as Friends Divorce
Our goal is to provide a gentle, friendly and convenient divorce. Except for the final hearing, all of your divorce takes place online. You are also welcome to come to our office.
The process we offer for this divorce is listed here. We simply send you an email where you can hire us, or you can hire us by checking your price, then filing on our website. We handle the rest of your divorce. We send you questions via email that you answer. We coordinate, file and process the divorce. You approve of the forms, and we set up your final hearing and get you divorced.
The prices of this divorce are fixed fee. This means that rather than paying the lawyers by the hour, there are set rates for all pieces of the case.
Add on and Optional Fees
The $1,500 covers a basic divorce without kids. This includes the filing fee. With kids, the fee is $2,000. The $1,500 covers our division of one house (including real estate deeds if required), and real estate provisions for refinancing. The $1,500 covers car divisions, lien divisions, allocations of credit card debts, and basically all that a small to medium estate divorce case requires.
Because we are equipped to handle any type of divorce estate, no matter how complex, we have also set prices for various additional divisions that you may wish for us to draft. The prices are based on how long it takes us to write the closing documents for these parts of the divorce.
The Part as Friends divorce requires that both people are willing to sign the papers and agree on terms. And, when that is the case, only one spouse (our client) attends the final hearing. The other spouse will sign papers before the hearing and does not need to go.
The following additional fees apply to the following optional services: (keep in mind that the benefit here is that these are fixed fees. No unpredictable costs come up, as all add ons are listed right here).
- If more than one piece of property is owned, +$300 per number of homes or pieces of real estate owned by either party in the marriage (added cost to run title search, verify legal description, draft deed if applicable, and draft other necessary provisions dealing with the real property in the decree;
- +$300 for automatic child support withholding order (this is if you want child support paid through your spouse’s employer). Other methods of child support payments are included without additional fees, but this particular method requires additional administration for the lawyers;
- +$300 for alimony or spousal maintenance provisions;
- +$600 per business that will be divided in the divorce decree (cost is because this will require substantial added drafting time by our lawyers)
- +$600 per investment account or retirement account that will be divided in the divorce decree (cost is because this will require added drafting and added administration after the divorce)
- $400 for a custom custody schedule (if you do not want standard custody, this fee will cover us creating a custome custody schedule for you to co-parent.
You can decide to add on these services at any time during your divorce, and do not need to decide on that in order to start your case with us.
Call For Your Free Phone Consultation Today
San Antonio: (210) 271-2800 | Austin: (512) 253-4330 | Houston: (281) 503-4747|
Attorney Justin Cook (depicted here) is lead counsel, and makes appearances for hearings, negotiation and mediation on the litigious divorce cases at Cook & Cook.
More About the Complete (“Fight to Win”) Divorce
The previous two divorce options are for uncontested divorces. Uncontested divorces work wonderfully when you have a predictable situation where both spouses have been able to sit down and talk through what their divorced life is going to look like.
Uncontested divorce has its limitations though. The uncontested divorce does not assist you in coming to agreed divorce terms (assist you in deciding on how to share in parenting or divided assets). You are expected to have an agreement on your divorce from the outset, or be able to quickly come to an agreement. The Complete Divorce serves people who can benefit from litigation and/or more assistance. In other words, you may want to part as friends, but you need help getting to that point.
While the intention is not to be ugly, there is property to protect or negotiate for, or custody issues that need to be hashed out. Whatever the case, the Complete Divorce is structured so that we can help you through the situation, come what may. Served with papers? This is the divorce for you.
And, our Complete Divorce service has some very special unique qualities that make it perfect for certain people facing divorce. For one thing, our philosophy is that people should try to part as friends, which means that from the first day to the last, we are open and ready to suggest and find measures to settle your case, and let it all end. We want your case to be as short as you do. In this way, our goals are aligned with yours, unless you like drawn out battles in which case, we are not the right fit.
Having settled hundreds of divorces, we are extremely well versed at the possible ways you can structure your divorce outcome. In other words, we may have a solution that you and your spouse haven’t thought of.
We believe that you should be cordial, and professional and try to agree. But, if it’s time to fight, we will fight to win. If you need a ready for anything type divorce lawyer, this is the right place to start with us.
More About the $199 DIY Divorce Package
When you search uncontested divorce, or online divorce there are cheap divorce form companies offering non-lawyer divorce services. In exchange for a small fee, you receive forms that you can then file and process yourself to get a divorce. The companies offering these services fail to highlight some of the extensive shortcomings of DIY divorce. So, to provide a more honest option, we too offer the DIY divorce, while also highlighting the issues you may run into when you handle your divorce without a lawyer.
We only want you to do a DIY divorce if there is nothing to protect in your estate. Otherwise, you need protection, whether other companies will tell you that or not.
Just as with the other DIY divorce form companies on the web, we guarantee that the court will “accept” our $199 divorce forms. However, because your proper divorce is our utmost concern, we want you to understand that court approval of forms is not the only thing of importance when it comes to divorce forms. The Court only checks your documents for proper “form”, meaning the necessary styling and statements are included to accept the divorce. The Court most often does not check your documents for substance, meaning when they grant your divorce, the judge has no idea whether you got what you bargained for in the divorce as relating to your children, debts or assets.
Nonetheless, you are stuck with the documents that were signed in the case.
So, the only time that it is a good idea to do a DIY divorce is when there are no assets or debts, and when the parties only need standard custody and standard child support. Any deviations from that calls for changes in document substance, which needs to be handled by an attorney.
Some DIY form companies will not tell you this, and they will offer to include your assets and debts, but they will not guarantee that they have drafted those portions properly. That is because they aren’t lawyers and they have no idea whether you have properly received your property.
In addition, non-lawyer divorce form companies word their advertisements to sound like your divorce is done all online in minutes. That is not true. Your forms may be ready “in minutes”, but your divorce needs to be processed. And you are the one in charge of processing the forms. You receive instructions on how to do this, but no one processes the divorce online. The divorce is processed in person, in Texas, including the vital step that you must attend a hearing at the end to be divorced.
DIY divorce is not for people that have any assets, any debts (whether separate or combined), and for people who need custom provisions relating to co-parenting and custody.
As a lawyer, I feel a particular obligation to ensure that you know these risks, and if you understand them entirely and would like to go the DIY route, you can order that service here.
And, the good thing about doing this DIY service here, is that if this option doesn’t work and you end up wanting a lawyer, we can change your service to a lawyer run divorce package offered below. Also as you do your DIY divorce, you can hire our lawyers on an hour by hour basis ($300 per hour) to assist you.